Tuesday 17 May 2011

Style inspiration: Audrey Hepburn


“My look is attainable. Women can look like Audrey Hepburn by flipping out their hair, buying the large sunglasses, and the little sleeveless dresses.” Audrey Hepburn



Everybody loves Audrey Hepburn (most people at least).

When I think of Audrey, I think of the wonderful love and passion she had for people, her humanitarian work with unicef and her movies. Well, of course I think about the LBD that she popularise and the 'White blouse + Skirt' that has become my go-to uniform.

Even though her physique is not easily attainable, Audrey's style is. 
Simple, classic and always chic.


1. Little black dress


When in doubt, always go with a lbd. It's the chic choice for a party, date or girls night out. Just embellish it with accessories to make it less boring.














Product Image Merona® Collection Taffeta Party Dress - Ebony
My favorite little black dress from Target



























2. White blouse + full skirt






















This outfit caught my eye when I watched Roman Holiday (Ahh..Gregory peck too) and it has never left my wardrobe ever since. Cinch the waist with a belt. Alternatives? Any blouse with a skirt. Also works!

3. Trench Coat




















Sometimes, wearing a trench coat makes me feel like a detective but I try to psych myself to feel like Audrey instead. Pair it with black ballet flats!

This one from Warehouse looks great.


4. Ballet flats























Thanks to Audrey, we can wear flats and not feel the pressure to wear heels to look chic. (But of course, not all of us have the height of Audrey)
Whatever colour you want, black is my favorite but nude or blue flats looks good too.


5. Hats















We know the British Royalty loves hat, but so do Audrey! She wore a lot of big hats with ribbons. Even better, take another of Audrey Hepburn signature - the scarf, and tie it around the hat.  


Most of us have an innate tendency to chase after beauty and perfection because we feel that it gives us love and acceptance. We can live and try our best but I've learned never to seek perfection.

Audrey is not perfect but she is a great role model for compassion and style. I don't try to imitate her but I take a leaf out of Audrey's book to grow and be better.

As for Audrey hepburn, the actress, she doesn't get as much acclaim for her acting abilities. But she is a sensitive and one of a kind actress. Some actresses are replaceable in their roles but not Audrey. My favorite Audrey Hepburn's movies are Charade, Funny Face, My fair lady, Roman Holiday & Two for the road. 

2 comments:

  1. I love her roman holiday look and the one on the bike the best. They are perfectly attainable and just beautiful. ; )

    And my favourite Audrey movie is How to Steal a Million. It's a bit silly, but she's very charming and Peter O'Toole is dreamy in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Roman Holiday look is also a favorite of mine. When I was a teenager in the '90s, I saw a spread about Audrey's style in Seventeen magazine that strongly influenced me. I still have the magazine in storage somewhere! Anyway, I remember loving the outfits they suggested...black ankle pants with a simple white blouse and a khaki skirt with a blouse and pointy little scarf, if I remember right.

    ReplyDelete